Guests vacationing at Newberg’s Chehalem Ridge Bed and Breakfast don’t have to go far for an eclectic wine country shopping experience. Just 10 minutes down the mountain from us, you can visit on-trend boutiques, discover local art, and find unique Oregon gifts by shopping the small town streets of our walking-and-parking-friendly downtown Newberg. And because you’re on vacation in Willamette Valley wine country, we highly recommend making a whole day of it by tasting some local eats and infusing a little wine tasting into the mix.
Here’s our innkeeper’s guide to making the most of your time in wine country, while still getting your vacation shopping fix. And don’t worry, there’s something of interest for everyone in your party in downtown Newberg!
Located on 1st Street between Main and River Streets, Newberg’s town center has a lot of small-town charm to explore during your wine country vacation.
Morning: Boutique shopping - Clothing, Accessories & Home Goods
- Lineage You can pull together a full wine country outfit here: shoes, jeans, tops and dresses, including plus sizes. Their home goods selection, while small, is on point.
- Little Bird Boutique Located in one of Newberg’s most beautiful buildings, this spacious shop makes it easy to find the perfect statement piece or that pair of earrings you’ve been looking for during your vacation. They also have the home décor items you didn’t know you needed!
- Nicki Jane’s Boutique The selection here is always changing according to the latest trends, with a focus on casual-chic clothing, jewelry, handbags and wallets.
- Red Hills Home & Gift This cute little boutique specializes in on-trend and seasonal home décor, women’s clothing, accessories and quality novelty gifts.
- Velour Vintage shopping is a right of passage in Oregon and the owners of Velour have a keen eye for high quality styles that are still at the height of fashion today. Each piece is completely unique and anywhere from 30 to 90 years aged, for men and women.
Pro-tip: On vacation, go shopping earlier in the day when you have the energy to try on clothes. All of these Newberg shops have fitting rooms too and most open by 10am.
Noon: Reservation Tasting at a Downtown Newberg’s Tasting Rooms
- Anam Cara Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinots, and dessert wine, plus a mouth-watering cheese and charcuterie board.
- Artisanal Wine Cellars Almost too many varietals to list so if you need help narrowing down your favorite type of wine, make a reservation at this tasting room smack dab in the middle of downtown Newberg.
- Bravuro Cellars If you love bold, warmer-climate wines, this is where you want to taste.
- Carlton Cellars A great selection of white wines and, of course, Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.
- Chehalem Tasting Room A beautiful patio on the backside of this tasting room is the perfect spot for a flight of a variety of Willamette Valley wines.
- Cliff Creek Cellars Who ever said Willamette Valley was limited to Pinots and Chardonnays, have certainly not visited downtown Newberg. This is another tasting room specializing in bolder reds like Cab Franc, Sangiovese and even Merlot!
- Et Fille Wines A streamlined, modern tasting room, wonderful staff and remarkably balanced wines.
Pro-tip: Many wineries are only hosting tastings by appointment. The shops of Valley Wine Merchants, with a wide array of local and imported wines, and Social Good Market, with wine, beer and cocktails to go, are good stops if you don’t have an appointment or are just looking for that special beverage.
Afternoon: Re-fuel for the rest of the day’s shopping adventures
- Barley & Vine Tavern Wine, cocktails and beer and other light fare, with some of the best nachos you’ll have.
- The Coffee Cottage They brew their own coffee here, have great sandwiches, wraps, soups and salads. Their patio outside is always a welcoming spot for a daytime snack.
- Good Company Cheese Bar & Bistro Feels a bit like a European cheese shop right in the middle of Oregon’s wine country, with their delightful selection of local and imported cheese, cheesy dishes, plus charcuterie, sandwiches, beer, wine and cocktails.
- Rosmarino Osteria Italiana Seriously Italian eats in the heart of Newberg. Enjoy Northern Italian family recipes in a fun atmosphere.
- Ruddick/Wood Seasonal and locally sourced food. Inventive appetizers, shareable small plates and full entrees.
- Storrs Smokehouse BBQ at its best. Pulled pork, ribs, brisket and wings! You’ll be able to smell BBQ in the air in downtown Newberg, from the restaurant’s hard-working smoker.
One More Stop: Shop for Oregon-inspired gifts, treasured antique, and local arts & crafts
- Antique Freak & Flea What’s vacation without a little antiquing? Take a stroll through this downtown shop, with plenty of relics of the past to treasure now.
- Art Elements Gallery Absolutely beautiful art in all different mediums – Paintings, ceramics, jewelry and much much more. Amazing value for excellent craftmanship.
- Chapters Book Store A coffee shop and book store that also houses Cream Northwest, Newberg’s own handmade ice cream shop.
- Pulp & Circumstance Located inside a refurbished Victorian home, you won’t want to miss the shopping experience here. Cards, journals, candy, Oregon novelty gifts, baby and wedding gifts, women and men’s accessories and home goods.
- Uflora This indoor plant shop is an oasis right in the middle of downtown Newberg.
- Wine Country Antique Mall A beautiful Victorian house with rooms and rooms full of beautiful antiques displayed and organized for your shopping pleasure.
Pro-Tip: A pet is not often something you look for when you are on vacation, but stop into Critter Cabana just to take a look. Puppies, wandering turtles and a very talkative parakeet can add joy to any shopping adventure.
At Critter Cabana the turtle and hare both vie for this customer’s attention.
Start your Wine Country Vacation with a stay at Chehalem Ridge B&B
Shopping while on vacation means different things to each traveler. Whether you are supporting local artisans, finding one-of-a-kind items, or buying gifts to take home to loved ones – one thing’s for certain – you’re shopping for keepsakes from a special vacation you won’t forget, and what better way than to start with an unforgettable Bed & Breakfast experience like the one you’ll have at Chehalem Ridge B&B.
Begin your memorable vacation with a stay at Chehalem Ridge B&B in Willamette Valley Wine Country, where we are surrounded by all the things that make a winning vacation:
- Concierge-style accommodation & delicious gourmet breakfast in an upscale B&B
- Rooms with a view, balconies, jetted tubs, fireplaces
- Robust health and sanitation protocols
- Over 100 wineries within 20 minutes of the B&B
- Fine-dining and pre-fixe meal experiences at nearby Willamette Valley restaurants
- Hiking, biking and other outdoor adventures abound in wine country
- As we just pointed out…A thriving downtown shopping scene!
By Liz Bethell, Assistant Innkeeper